[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [stable][all] Keeping Juno "alive" for longer.

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Nov 6 18:15:01 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Erik McCormick's message of 2015-11-06 09:36:44 -0800:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Mark Baker <mark.baker at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Worth mentioning that OpenStack releases that come out at the same time as
> > Ubuntu LTS releases (12.04 + Essex, 14.04 + Icehouse, 16.04 + Mitaka) are
> > supported for 5 years by Canonical so are already kind of an LTS. Support in
> > this context means patches, updates and commercial support (for a fee).
> > For paying customers 3 years of patches, updates and commercial support for
> > April releases, (Kilo, O, Q etc..) is also available.
> >

> Does that mean that you are actually backporting and gate testing
> patches downstream that aren't being done upstream? I somehow doubt
> it, but if so, then it would be great if you could lead some sort of
> initiative to push those patches back upstream.

If Canonical and Ubuntu still work the way they worked when I was
involved, then yes and no. The initial patches still happen upstream,
in trunk. But the difference is the backporting can't happen upstream in
stable branches after EOL, because those branches are shut down. That
seems a shame, as the community at large would likely be better served
if the vendors can continue to land their stable patches for as long as
they're working on them.

That said, I think it would take a bit of a shift in participation to get
the needed resources in the right place (like infra) to make that happen.