[openstack-dev] [Fuel][UI] Fuel UI switched to a new build/module system

Vitaly Kramskikh vkramskikh at mirantis.com
Fri Nov 6 16:42:39 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'd like to inform you that Fuel UI migrated from require.js to webpack. It
will give us lots of benefits like significant improvement of developer
experience and will allow us to easily separate Fuel UI from Nailgun. For
more information please read the spec
<https://github.com/openstack/fuel-specs/blob/master/specs/8.0/webpack.rst>.

For those who use Nailgun in fake mode, it means that they need to take
some extra actions to make Fuel UI work - since we don't have anymore an
uncomressed UI version which compiles itself in the browser (and this
allowed us to resolve huge amount of tech debt - we have to support only
one environment). You need to run npm install to fetch new modules and
proceed with one of 2 possible ways:

   - If you don't plan to modify Fuel UI, it would be better just to
   compile Fuel UI by running gulp build - after that compiled UI will be
   served by Nailgun as usual. Don't forget to rerun npm install && gulp
   build after fetching new changes.
   - If you plan to modify Fuel UI, there is another option - use a
   development server. It watches for changes and files and automatically
   recompiles Fuel UI (using incremental compilation, which is usually much
   faster than gulp build) and triggers refresh in browser. You can run it
   via gulp dev-server.

If you have issues with the new code, feel free to contact us in #fuel-ui
or #fuel-dev channels.

--
Vitaly Kramskikh,
Fuel UI Tech Lead,