[openstack-dev] [deb-packaging] [infra] I need help to move forward with the build CI: building a sbuild Debian image

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Nov 6 10:20:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

As the first package source got approved a week before the Tokyo summit
(ie: openstack/deb-openstack-pkg-tools), in the Tokyo design summit, we
had a 2 sessions to discuss packaging within OpenStack upstream infra.
Here's the Etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-deb-packaging

I was told during the session that I just should RTFM, and it will be
easy. Truth is exactly what I feared: after reading the links added to
the end of the Etherpad page, I'm still lost, and I don't know what I
should be doing to get further.

I do know what should be done overall, what I need is help on how to
actually implement this.

What should be done first:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

What I would like to start doing is creating a new VM image which would
include:
- sbuild already setup
- a copy of all the Git (re-using the DIB elements which already exist)

Later on:
=-=-=-=-=

Then once that is done, the first package build job should be added to
the openstack/deb-openstack-pkg-tools.git as a CI check, and a publish
job should be done when the patch is merged. This will lead to a first
package reaching a new Debian repository from OpenStack infra, which we
can later on add in /home/ftp/debian on the sbuild Debian image.

Also, the Debian sbuild image will be re-used for running a full
single-node deployment of OpenStack on which we will run tempest.

Help that I need:
So, I need help for the first part (ie: creating the VM image patch).
Once I get a first image, I believe it should be a way more easy for me
to get going. Note that I do have the sbuild setup script already
available here:
https://github.com/openstack/deb-openstack-pkg-tools/blob/debian/liberty/build-tools/pkgos-setup-sbuild

so I just need help on the new image part, and then know where I can
hook my script.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)