[openstack-dev] [all] Outcome of distributed lock manager discussion @ the summit

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu Nov 5 18:46:40 UTC 2015

Sean Dague wrote:
> On 11/05/2015 06:00 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Hayes, Graham wrote:

>>> I got the impression that there was *some* operators that wouldn't run
>>> java.
>
> I feel like I'd like to see that with data. Because every Ops session
> I've been in around logging and debugging has had nearly everyone raise
> their hand that they are running the ELK stack for log analysis. So they
> are all running Java already.
>
> I would absolutely hate to have some design point get made based on
> rumors from ops and "java is icky" sentiment from the dev space.
>
> Defaults matter, because it means you get a critical mass of operators
> running similar configs, and they can build and share knowledge. For all
> of the issues with Rabbit, it has demonstrably been good to have
> collaboration in the field between operators that have shared patterns
> and fed back the issues. So we should really say Zookeeper is the
> default choice, even if there are others people could choose that have
> extra mustachy / monocle goodness.

+1 from me

I mean I get that there will be some person out there that will say 'no
icky thats java' but said type of people will *always* exist, no matter
what the situation and if we are basing sound technical decisions on
that one (and/or small set of people) person it makes me wonder what the
heck we are doing...

Because that's totally crazy (IMHO). After a while we need to listen to
the 99% and make a solution targeted at them, and accept that we will
not make 100% of people happy all the time. This is why I personally
like being opinionated and I think/thought that openstack as a group had
matured enough to do this (but I see that it still isn't ready to do this).

My 2 cents,

-Josh