[openstack-dev] [nova][api] Pagination in thre API

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Thu Nov 5 11:44:23 UTC 2015

On 5 November 2015 at 09:46, Richard Jones <r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a consumer of such APIs on the Horizon side, I'm all for consistency in
> pagination, and more of it, so yes please!
>
> On 5 November 2015 at 13:24, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 01:09:36PM +1100, Tony Breeds wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >     Around the middle of October a spec [1] was uploaded to add
>> > pagination
>> > support to the os-hypervisors API.  While I recognize the use case it
>> > seemed
>> > like adding another pagination implementation wasn't an awesome idea.
>> >
>> > Today I see 3 more requests to add pagination to APIs [2]
>> >
>> > Perhaps I'm over thinking it but should we do something more strategic
>> > rather
>> > than scattering "add pagination here".

+1

The plan, as I understand it, is to first finish off this API WG guideline:
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/pagination_filter_sort.html

Once we have agreement, we can try to support that in a new micro version.

Important as this is, for mitaka, we agreed to focus on documentation,
not resolve this API inconsistencies/wrinkles:
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/priorities/mitaka-priorities.html#v2-1-api

I would love to see us work with the API WG and get that guideline
completed by the end of Mitaka, so we can implement something next
cycle. If we get to implementing sooner, then awesome, but thats
assuming we have the API documentation work complete first.

Thanks,
John