[openstack-dev] [networking-ovs-dpdk]

Prathyusha Guduri prathyushaconnects at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 11:02:02 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Trying to install openstack with ovs-dpdk driver from devstack.

Following is my localrc file

HOST_IP_IFACE=eth0
HOST_IP=10.0.2.15
HOST_NAME=$(hostname)

DATABASE_PASSWORD=open
RABBIT_PASSWORD=open
SERVICE_TOKEN=open
SERVICE_PASSWORD=open
ADMIN_PASSWORD=open
MYSQL_PASSWORD=open
HORIZON_PASSWORD=open

enable_plugin networking-ovs-dpdk
https://github.com/stackforge/networking-ovs-dpdk master
OVS_DPDK_MODE=controller_ovs

disable_service n-net
disable_service n-cpu
enable_service neutron
enable_service q-svc
enable_service q-agt
enable_service q-dhcp
enable_service q-l3
enable_service q-meta
enable_service n-novnc

DEST=/opt/stack
SCREEN_LOGDIR=$DEST/logs/screen
LOGFILE=${SCREEN_LOGDIR}/xstack.sh.log
LOGDAYS=1

Q_ML2_TENANT_NETWORK_TYPE=vlan
ENABLE_TENANT_VLANS=True
ENABLE_TENANT_TUNNELS=False

#Dual socket platform with 16GB RAM,3072*2048kB hugepages leaves ~4G
for the system.
OVS_NUM_HUGEPAGES=2048
#Dual socket platform with 64GB RAM,14336*2048kB hugepages leaves ~6G
for the system.
#OVS_NUM_HUGEPAGES=14336

OVS_DATAPATH_TYPE=netdev
OVS_LOG_DIR=/opt/stack/logs
OVS_BRIDGE_MAPPINGS=public:br-ex

ML2_VLAN_RANGES=public:100:200
MULTI_HOST=1

#[[post-config|$NOVA_CONF]]
#[DEFAULT]
firewall_driver=nova.virt.firewall.NoopFirewallDriver
novncproxy_host=0.0.0.0
novncproxy_port=6080
scheduler_default_filters=RamFilter,ComputeFilter,AvailabilityZoneFilter,ComputeCapabilitiesFilter,ImagePropertiesFilter,PciPassthroughFilter,NUMATopologyFilter

After running ./stack.sh which was sucessful , I could see that in
ml2.conf.ini file ovsdpdk was added as the mechanism driver. But the
agent running was still openvswitch. Tried running ovsdpdk on q-agt
screen, but failed because ovsdpdk was not installed in
/usr/local/bin, which I thought devstack is supposed to do.
Tried running setup.py in networking-ovs-dpdk folder, but that also
did not install ovs-dpdk in /usr/local/bin.

Am stuck here. Please guide me how to proceed further. Also the Readme
in networking-ovs-dpdk folder says the instructions regarding
installation are available in below links -
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/networking-ovs-dpdk/tree/doc/source/installation.rst

But no repos found there. Kindly guide me to a doc or something on how
to build ovs-dpdk from devstack

Thank you,
Prathyusha