[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPAM] Arbitrary JSON blobs in ipam db tables

Germy Lure germy.lure at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 10:13:00 UTC 2015

I don't know if this would make more sense. Let's assume that
we add arbitrary blobs(ABs) to IPAM even every neutron object. What
would happen? People can do anything via those APIs. Any new
attribute even the whole model could be passed through those
so-called ABs. Except the architecture issues, I think people like
Shraddha would never report any case to the community. People even
didn't need the community. Because they even can define an object
contains only id and AB. eg. Port like this:
{
"id":"" #uuid format
"params":{} # a json dictionary
}
Everything can be filled in this *Big Box*. Is that an API?

But on the other hand, If we don't have such a block. People must
extend API and extra tables themselves or push community approve
and merge the feature which will be a long cycle. In the end, people
would think that Neutron is so bad to use it with so many limitations
and update like a snail.

It's difficult, but it's time to make a decision. OK, I prefer adding it.

Thanks.
Germy
.