[openstack-dev] [kuryr] competing implementations

Antoni Segura Puimedon toni+openstackml at midokura.com
Wed Nov 4 13:27:29 UTC 2015

Hi Kuryrs,

Last Friday, as part of the contributors meetup, we discussed also code
contribution etiquette. Like other OpenStack project (Magnum comes to
mind), the etiquette for what to do when there is disagreement in the way
to code a blueprint of fix a bug is as follows:

1.- Try to reach out so that the original implementation gets closer to a
compromise by having the discussion in gerrit (and Mailing list if it
requires a wider range of arguments).
2.- If a compromise can't be reached, feel free to make a separate
implementation arguing well its difference, virtues and comparative
disadvantages. We trust the whole community of reviewers to be able to
judge which is the best implementation and I expect that often the
reviewers will steer both submissions closer than they originally were.
3.- If both competing implementations get the necessary support, the core
reviewers will take a specific decision on which to take based on technical
merit. Important factor are:
    * conciseness,
    * simplicity,
    * loose coupling,
    * logging and error reporting,
    * test coverage,
    * extensibility (when an immediate pending and blueprinted feature can
better be built on top of it).
    * documentation,
    * performance.

It is important to remember that technical disagreement is a healthy thing
and should be tackled with civility. If we follow the rules above, it will
lead to a healthier project and a more friendly community in which
everybody can propose their vision with equal standing. Of course,
sometimes there may be a feeling of duplicity, but even in the case where
one's solution it is not selected (and I can assure you I've been there and
know how it can feel awkward) it usually still enriches the discussion and
constitutes a contribution that improves the project.

Regards,

Toni