[openstack-dev] [tacker] Summary from the Mitaka summit

Sridhar Ramaswamy srics.r at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 00:56:37 UTC 2015

Here are the notes related to OpenStack Tacker project from Tokyo summit.

Tacker Developer Meetup
-----------------------

Rough notes are captured in the tacker design summit etherpad [1].
As discussed in the previous irc meeting [2] the team discussed
possible new irc meeting slots for the upcoming cycle. We decided
to go with Tuesday 1700 UTC slot.

Tacker - tosca-parser / heat-translator Meetup

Tacker developers had a meetup with tosca-parser / heat-translator
core-team members. Bob from Tacker team will pitch-in to bring
tosca-nfv profile support to tosca-parser library. He will also
co-ordinate bringing tosca-parser based template parsing to Tacker.

Birds of a Feather on NFV Orchestration using Tacker

We had quite a packed room full of attendees for this session.
We provided an update on what we achieved in Liberty. More
importantly, presented
the planned roadmap for Mitaka and
solicited inputs.

There was a strong support for the key features listed - Multi-VIM,
Service Function Chaining (SFC) and Platform aware VNF placement.
There were many questions on the layer of separation between VNFM
and NFVO. Some of the attendees requested the flexibility of Tacker
used just as a VNFM  or just as a NFVO. There was also a concern
whether Tacker is taking up lots of things under its scope. The
answer to this, the features added so far and the ones planned
are in response to the requests from initial adopters of Tacker.
Again, the plan is to leverage as many existing openstack projects
(like Heat) and libraries (like tosca-parser) as possible. There was
an ask to create few generic configuration-mgmt drivers like
NETCONF/YANG for quick on-boarding of VNFs.

The team will take these inputs into account in the upcoming blueprints and
RFEs.

Tacker related demos and talks,
-------------------------------

1. NFV Orchestration using OpenStack Tacker / vBrownBag -
<https://youtu.be/y9fYiIsIErc>https://youtu.be/y9fYiIsIErc
2. Tacker demo orchestrating vRouter and vEPC (complex VNF) -
https://youtu.be/EfqWArz25Hg

- Sridhar

[1]  <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-tacker-design-summit>
<https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-tacker-design-summit>