[openstack-dev] [kolla] Mesos orchestration as discussed at mid cycle (action required from core reviewers)

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Tue Nov 3 19:58:27 UTC 2015

With the spec that Angus proposed, a read/write bind mount volume is not a
requirement as the configuration comes from the central data store (etcd
or zookeeper).

Just pid=host and net=host are hard requirements.  Nova will not work
without net=host, atleast on RPM based distributions.  Sam Yaple I think
indicated it had worked in the past on Ubuntu, but we really want to stick
with a ³all the distress² policy even for experimental repositories.

I found getting neutron networking with nova vas operational inside
Kubernetes to be non-viable, but I couldn¹t get very far because of the
lack of net=host.

Using replication controllers also didn¹t work as I would have liked
because there is no way to specify "replicate to all nodes 1 copy of the
pod².

I¹m unclear how the kubernetes service construct would work in a world
with net=host, but perhaps it is detailed in the implementation.

I would recommend to pick the tech you want to work with, either mesos or
kubernetes as to put all effort behind one arrow rather than two :)

Regards
-steve