[openstack-dev] [release] process changes for mitaka releases

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Nov 3 16:51:08 UTC 2015

Release liaisons,

At the summit we discussed some of the process changes we are putting
in place for the Mitaka cycle. This email thread is the official
notification of those changes for folks who weren't able to be in
the room for the discussion, and the reminder for those who were.

The biggest change is that we are going to shift away from treating
milestones as strict synchronization points. We will still have
milestones on the schedule [1], but we will treat them as reminders
for the projects to have their own status checkpoints rather than
strict deadlines for everyone to be following. Each project still
will be responsible for handling its milestone tasks during the
relevant week on the schedule, but we will not be trying to have
all of the tags and launchpad updates applied on the same day.

As part of the desynchronization this cycle, we are going to rely
on release liaisons to request all tags, including for milestones,
for their deliverables through the openstack/releases repository.
We will no longer schedule 1-on-1 meetings to coordinate those tags
or review progress on bugs and blueprints in launchpad.  It will
be up to all of you to handle this for your projects (stay tuned
for another email thread about how we intend to make change management
tracking simpler this cycle).

Please make sure you are familiar with the schedule for this cycle
so you can help your team keep up. To help you stay on top of things,
we will be sending out periodic emails to this list as reminders
about the sorts of things project teams should be doing as we move
through the cycle. If you have concerns or questions, reply to the
relevant email thread or check with us in #openstack-release.

Doug

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Mitaka_Release_Schedule