[openstack-dev] [neutron][networking-sfc] API clarification questions

Giuseppe (Pino) de Candia gdecandia at midokura.com
Mon Nov 2 13:22:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 9:56 PM, Cathy Zhang <Cathy.H.Zhang at huawei.com>
wrote:

> [...]
I don't think that works. For L3 services, the packet's destination MAC
must be set equal to the service port's MAC. That means that all the
original destination MACs get re-written to a single MAC.

In my L2 use-case, the VLAN is being used for signaling, and the VNF
instance is shared across multiple tenants with overlapping IPs. Therefore,
I use the MAC to identify the service chain instance and get a packet back
on its original network path.

So, I won't modify the packet at all. Can you suggest another solution? And
why so much resistance to adding a flag when we can actually show
use-cases? Note that this is already actually running code today, using
MidoNet's service chaining API.

thanks,
Pino