[openstack-dev] [neutron] Impressions from Vancouver Neutron Design Summits

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Fri May 29 15:56:51 UTC 2015

Hi Gal,

Thanks for starting this thread, and I'm sorry not to have met you
during the summit.

Vancouver was my first summit, and I very much enjoyed it.  My
reflection is that I came to the summit with two overall expectations,
of which one proved correct and one false.

The correct expectation was that it would be great to meet everyone in
person, associate faces to the names that I see on the ML and IRC, and -
even if only to a small extent - gain more personal understandings of
people in a way that will hopefully help make future ML/IRC/review
conversations more effective.

The incorrect expectation was that the design summit would be a
significantly more open forum, for a relative newbie such as myself, for
the discussion of new ideas, and for the incorporation of new
participants, than the regular ML and IRC forums that we use all the
time.  In fact the summit topics and participation are as much driven by
the core team as the regular forums, and in retrospect that should have
been more obvious to me, because:

- the detailed schedule is fleshed out on ML/IRC before the summit

- the cores have a lot to discuss, and the face to face time is as
valuable for them as it is for anyone else.

So there is no criticism here, just reflection and one main piece of
advice for the next people thinking about going to their first summit:
whatever you have to say, get it out there on the ML and IRC; don't save
it up for the summit specifically.

Again, I really enjoyed Vancouver - thanks very much to everyone that I
met and chatted with there, and to everyone that organized it!

Regards,
	Neil

On 28/05/15 09:12, Gal Sagie wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I wanted to very briefly share my thoughts and a suggestion regarding
> the Neutron design summits (maybe only for the next one, but still..)
[...]