[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Fri May 29 09:37:43 UTC 2015

On 28/05/15 22:09, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 05/28/2015 02:53 PM, Derek Higgins wrote:
>>

>> On 28/05/15 12:07, Jaume Devesa wrote:
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>>
>>> Delorean is a tool to build rpm packages from master branches (maybe any
>>> branch?) of OpenStack projects.
>>>
>>> Check out here:
>>> https://www.rdoproject.org/packaging/rdo-packaging.html#master-pkg-guide
>>
>> Following those instructions you'll notice that the rpm's are being
>> built using rpmbuild inside a docker container, if expanding to add dep
>> support this is where we could plug in sbuild.
>
> sbuild by itself already provides the single use trow-able chroot
> feature, with very effective back ends like AUFS or LVM snapshots.
> Adding docker would only have the bad effect to remove the package
> caching feature of sbuild, so it makes no sense to use it, as sbuild
> would constantly download from the internet instead of using its package
> cache.
>
> Also, it is my understanding that infra will not accept to use
> long-living VMs, and prefer to spawn new instances. In such a case, I
> don't see the point using docker which would be a useless layer. In
> fact, I was even thinking that in this case, sbuild wouldn't be
> required, and we could simply use mk-build-deps and git-buildpackage
> without even using sbuild. The same dependency resolver (ie: apt) would
> then be in use, just without the added sbuild layer. I used that already
> to automatically build backports, and it was really fast.
>
> Did I miss something here? Apart from the fact that Docker is trendy,
> what feature would it bring?

The reason I choose docker was essentially for a chroot to build the
packages in while having the various distro images easily available,
other people have shown interest in using mock in the passed so we may
switch to it at some stage in the future. Whats important I think is
that we can change things to use sbuild without docker if that is what
works best for you for debs.

I think the feature in delorean that is most useful is that it will
continue to maintain a history of usable package repositories
representing the openstack projects over time, for this we would need a
long running instance, but that can happen outside of infra.

Once we have all of the packaging available in infra we can use any tool
to build it as part of CI, my preference for delorean is because it
would match how we would want to run a long running delorean server.

All of this needs to be preceded by actually importing the packaging
into review.openstack.org , so lets talk to infra first about how we
should go about that and we can converge on processes secondary to that?

I'm traveling for a lot of next week but would like to try and start
working on importing things to gerrit soon, so will try and get some
prep done over the next week to import the RDO packaging but in reality
it will probably be the following week before its ready (unless of
course somebody else wants todo it).

> By the way, one question: does Delorean use mock? We had the discussion
> during an internal meeting, and we were not sure about this...

Nope, not using mock currently