[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Discuss mesos-bay-type Blueprint

Jay Lau jay.lau.513 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 05:35:07 UTC 2015

I want to mention that there is another mesos framework named as chronos:
https://github.com/mesos/chronos , it is used for job orchestration.

For others, please refer to my comments in line.

>  I’m moving this whiteboard to the ML so we can have some discussion to
> refine it, and then go back and update the whiteboard.
>
>  Source: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/+spec/mesos-bay-type
>
>  My comments in-line below.
>
>  Begin forwarded message:
>
>  *From: *hongbin <hongbin.lu at huawei.com>
>  *Subject: **COMMERCIAL:[Blueprint mesos-bay-type] Add support for mesos
> bay type*
>  *Date: *May 28, 2015 at 2:11:29 PM PDT
>  *To: *<adrian.otto at rackspace.com>
>
> Blueprint changed by hongbin:
>
> Whiteboard set to:
>
> I did a preliminary research on possible implementations. I think this BP
> can be implemented in two steps.
> 1. Develop a heat template for provisioning mesos cluster.
> 2. Implement a magnum conductor for managing the mesos cluster.
>

>  Agreed, thanks for filing this blueprint!

For 2, the conductor is mainly used to manage objects for CoE, k8s has pod,
service, rc, what is the mesos object that we want to manage? IMHO, mesos
is a resource manager and it needs to be worked with some frameworks to
provide services.

>  First, I want to emphasis that mesos is not a service (It looks like a
> library). Therefore, mesos doesn't have web API, and most users don't
> use mesos directly. Instead, they use a mesos framework that is on top
> of mesos. Therefore, a mesos bay needs to have a mesos framework pre-
> configured so that magnum can talk to the framework to manage the bay.
> There are several framework choices. Below is a list of frameworks that
> look like a fit (in my opinion). A exhaustive list of framework can be
> found here [1].
>
> 1. Marathon [2]
> This is a framework controlled by a company (mesosphere [3]). It is open
> source through. It supports running app on clusters of docker containers.
> It is probably the most widely-used mesos framework for long-running
> application.
>

>  Marathon offers a REST API, whereas Aroura does not (unless one has
> materialized in the last month). This was the one we discussed in our
> Vancouver design summit, and we agreed that those wanting to use Apache
> Mesos are probably expecting this framework.
>
>  2. Aurora [4]
> This is a framework governed by Apache Software Foundation. It looks very
> similar to Marathon, but maybe more advanced in nature. It has been used by
> Twitter at scale. Here [5] is a detailed comparison between Marathon and
> Aurora.
>

>  We should have an alternate bay template for Aroura in our contrib
> directory. If users like Aroura better than Marathon, we can discuss making
> it the default template, and put the Marathon template in the contrib
> directory.
>

>  3. Kubernetes/Docker swarm
> It looks the swarm-mesos is not ready yet. I cannot find any thing about
> that (besides several videos on Youtube). The kubernetes-mesos is there
> [6]. In theory, magnum should be able to deploy a mesos bay and talk to the
> bay through kubernetes API. An advantage is that we can reuse the
> kubernetes conductor. A disadvantage is that it is not a 'mesos' way to
> manage containers. Users from mesos community are probably more comfortable
> to manage containers through Marathon/Aurora.
>

>  If you want Kubernetes, you should use the Kubernetes bay type. If you
> want Kubernetes controlling Mesos, make a custom Heat template for that,
> and we can put it into contrib.

Agree, even using Mesos as resource manager, end user can still use magnum
API to create pod, service, and rc.

>  If you want Swarm controlling Mesos, then you want BOTH a Swarm bay
> *and* a Mesos bay, with the Swarm bay configured to use the Mesos bay using
> the (currently developing) integration hook for Mesos in Swarm.
>
>  Any opposing viewpoints to consider?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Adrian
>
>  --hongbin