[openstack-dev] [horizon] Angular-Django i18n

Richard Jones r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com
Fri May 29 02:52:57 UTC 2015

Hi Thai,

Thanks for writing that up! As I can tell the blueprint only has the
"whiteboard" which is kinda yuck, so here's my comments:

I'm already on the record for preferring markup approach 3 so we can avoid
having to write our own implementation of a translation engine. I really,
really don't want to see us write our own :/

I'd also like to see us use a minimum-effort approach for extraction and I
think approach 2 is that. It gives is a single point to invoke for message
catalog maintenance and doesn't require deployers to use a node.js tool for
message extraction. I believe Babel (http://babel.pocoo.org/) is the most
appropriate tool already existing for extracting the messages. There's
already a babel plugin for django, we would just need to write one for
angular-gettext. I believe this should allay concerns raised in extraction
approach 2.

And if you're going to do extraction approach 3 then you've practically
implemented a plugin for Babel so you might as well do approach 2 :)

I've looked into extraction approach 4 and got lost in a twisty maze of
ick. I'm not sure there's a clean way to extend Django's makemessage.

     Richard