[openstack-dev] [DevStack][Neutron] PHYSICAL_NETWORK vs. PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK - rant

Hirofumi Ichihara ichihara.hirofumi at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri May 29 01:40:12 UTC 2015

Hi Sean,

> We have a *lot* of configuration knobs in DevStack for Neutron. I am not
> a smart man, so I think we may need to wrap our arms around this and
> simplify.
I agree with you. I want to fix the confused configure too.

PHYSICAL_NETWORK is a option in order to setup L2 public network only without L3 and private network.
PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK is a option in order to setup public L2 network with L3 and private network.

You can look at simple document in neutron-legacy[1].

According with the comment, therefore, you should fix your local.conf as the following.
PHYSICAL_NETWORK=default -> PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK=public
and add
OVS_BRIDGE_MAPPINGS=public:br-ex

[1]: https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/lib/neutron-legacy#L171-190