[openstack-dev] [nova] Availability of device names for operations with volumes and BDM and other features.

Alexandre Levine alevine at cloudscaling.com
Wed May 27 08:47:22 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'd like to bring up this matter again, although it was at some extent
discussed during the recent summit.

The problem arises from the fact that the functionality exposing device
names for usage through public APIs is deteriorating in nova. It's being
deliberately removed because as I understand, it doesn't universally and
consistently work in all of the backends. It happens  since IceHouse and
introduction of bdm v2. The following very recent review is one of the
ongoing efforts in this direction:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/185438/

The reason for my concern is that EC2 API have some important cases
relying on this information (some of them have no workarounds). Namely:
1. Change of parameters set by image for instance booting.
2. Showing instance's devices information by euca2ools.
3. Providing additional volumes for instance booting
4. Attaching volume
etc...

Related to device names and additional related features we have troubles
with now:
1. All device name related features
2. Modification of deleteOnTermination flag
3. Modification of parameters for instance booting
4. deleteOnTermination and size of volume aren't stored into instance
snapshots now.

Discussions during the summit on the matter were complicated because
nobody present really understood in details why and what is happening
with this functionality in nova. It was decided though, that overall
direction would be to add necessary features or restore them unless
there is something really showstopping:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-nova-contributor-meetup

As I understand, Nikola Depanov is the one working on the matter for
some time obviously is the best person who can help to resolve the
situation. Nikola, if possible, could you help with it and clarify the
issue.

My suggestion, based on my limited knowledge at the moment, still is to
restore back or add all of the necessary APIs and provide tickets or
known issues for the cases where the functionality is suffering from the
backend limitations.

Please let me know what you think.

Best regards,
   Alex Levine