[openstack-dev] [Glance] [all] Liberty summit: Updates in Glance

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed May 27 07:57:34 UTC 2015

Jesse, you beat me on this one :)

On 26/05/15 13:54 -0400, Nikhil Komawar wrote:
>Thank you Jesse for your valuable input (here and at the summit) as well as
>intent to clarify the discussion.
>
>Just trying to ensure people are aware about the EXPERIMENTAL nature of the v3
>API and reasons behind it. Please find my responses in-line. However, I do want
>to ensure you all, that we will strive hard to move away from the EXPERIMENTAL
>nature and go with a rock solid implementation as and when interest grows in
>the code-base (that helps stabilize it).
>
>On 5/26/15 12:57 PM, Jesse Cook wrote:
>

>    On 5/22/15, 4:28 PM, "Nikhil Komawar" <nik.komawar at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>        Hi all,
>
>        tl;dr; Artifacts IS staying in Glance.
>
>         1. We had a nice discussion at the contributors' meet-up at the
>            Vancouver summit this morning. After weighing in many possibilities
>            and evolution of the Glance program, we have decided to go ahead
>            with the Artifacts implementation within Glance program under the
>            EXPERIMENTAL v3 API.
>
>    Want to clarify a bit here. My understanding is: s/Artifacts/v3 API/g. That
>    is to say, Artifacts is the technical implementation of the v3 API. This
>    also means the v3 API is an objects API vs just an images API.
>

>Generic "data assets'" API would be a nice term along the lines of the mission
>statement. Artifacts seemed fitting as that was the focus of discussion at
>various sessions.

Regardless of how we call it, I do appreciate the clarity on the fact
that Artifacts - data assests - is just the technical implementation
of what will be Glance's API v3. It's an important distinction to
avoid sending the wrong message on what it's going to be done there.

>    We also had some hallway talk about putting the v1 and v2 APIs on top of
>    the v3 API. This forces faster adoption, verifies supportability via v1 and
>    v2 tests, increases supportability of v1 and v2 APIs, and pushes out the
>    need to kill v1 API.
>
>Let's discuss more as time and development progresses on that possibility. v3
>API should stay EXPERIMENTAL for now as that would help us understand use-cases
>across programs as it gets adopted by various code-bases. Putting v1/v2 on top
>of v3 would be tricky for now as we may have breaking changes with code being
>relatively-less stable due to narrow review domain.

I actually think we'd benefit more from having V2 on top of V3 than
not doing it. I'd probably advocate to make this M material rather
than L but I think it'd be good.

I think regardless of what we do, I'd like to kill v1 as it has a
sharing model that is not secure.

Flavio