[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging][zeromq] Next step

Alec Hothan (ahothan) ahothan at cisco.com
Tue May 26 15:43:43 UTC 2015

Looking at what is the next step following the design summit meeting on
0MQ as the etherpad does not provide too much information.
Few questions:
- would it be possible to have the slides presented (showing the proposed
changes in the 0MQ driver design) to be available somewhere?
- is there a particular branch in the oslo messaging repo that contains
0MQ related patches - I'm more particularly interested by James Page's
patch to pool the 0MQ connections but there might be other
- question for Li Ma, are you deploying with the straight upstream 0MQ
driver or with some additional patches?

The per node proxy process (which is itself some form of broker) needs to
be removed completely if the new solution is to be made really
broker-less. This will also eliminate the only single point of failure in
the path and reduce the number of 0MQ sockets (and hops per message) by
half.

I think it was proposed that we go on with the first draft of the new
driver (which still keeps the proxy server but reduces the number of
sockets) before eventually tackling the removal of the proxy server?

Thanks

  Alec