[openstack-dev] Why need br-int and br-tun in openstack neutron

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Sun May 24 16:46:44 UTC 2015

On 23 May 2015 at 04:43, Assaf Muller <amuller at redhat.com> wrote:

> There's no real reason as far as I'm aware, just an implementation
> decision.

This is inaccurate. There is a reason(s), and this has been asked before:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2014-March/005950.html
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2014-April/006865.html

In a nutshell, the design decision that led to the existing architecture is
due to the way OVS handles packets and interact with netfilter.

The fact that we keep asking the same question clearly shows lack of
documentation, both developer and user facing.

I'll get this fixed once and for all.

Thanks,
Armando