[openstack-dev] [nova] usefulness of device parameter at volumeAttachment

Géza Gémes geza.gemes at ericsson.com
Sat May 23 09:00:32 UTC 2015

Hi,

When someone calls nova volume-attach or the block-device-mapping
parameter at boot, it is possible to specify a device name for the
guest. However I couldn't find any guest OS which would honor this. E.g.
with libvirt/kvm, if the guest has two virtio disks already (vda and
vdb), specifying vdf would be ignored and the disk will be attached as
vdc in the guest.
I propose to deprecate this option and at boot where it is not optional
to accept only auto as an option.

Best regards,

Geza