[openstack-dev] [puppet] OpenStack Puppet modules boilerplate

Sebastien Badia sbadia at redhat.com
Fri May 22 23:53:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

During the Puppet session (during the Vancouver summit), we talked about a boilerplate
OpenStack Puppet modules for the new ones. Especially about « compliant » and approved
puppet modules.

We talked about puppet-modules-skeleton (using the gareth example¹) and tried
using skeleton for our needs² but unfortunately puppet module and skeleton
boilerplate doesn't fit because we can't template a directory name or
a file name (puppet module generate use only erb).

Spredzy therefore proposed cookiecutter (this tool is also used by OpenStack³),
and it works very smoothly :-)

For a new OpenStack puppet module, just run:

  $ cookiecutter https://github.com/enovance/cookiecutter-openstack-puppet-modules.git

And after a bit of msync, voila!

I'll migrate enovance/cookiecutter-openstack-puppet-modules to stackforge. The
repo name is OK for you? Or you prefer a name starting by puppet- something in
order to easily catch-up all our modules?

Yanis, Seb

¹https://github.com/garethr/puppet-module-skeleton
²https://github.com/enovance/puppet-module-skeleton
³https://github.com/openstack-dev/cookiecutter