[openstack-dev] [Neutron][Magnum] Container + OpenStack Integration

Brenden Blanco bblanco at plumgrid.com
Thu May 21 13:40:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

Just brainstorming here, but IMHO it would be good to keep it extensible
and not to lock in VLAN as the sole container "VIF" mechanism. For
instance, there is the ipvlan [1] technology that was purpose-built to be
more appropriate for container systems. This tech actually comes from some
of the Google folks that deploy containers at scale, if my memory serves
correctly. So, we may want to start with VLAN as the reference
implementation but should leave it open to try out an alternative such as
the above in the near future. Perhaps in practice this implies that the vid
field of the neutron side isn't strictly an int field, not sure.

Cheers,
Brenden Blanco

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/620087/