[openstack-dev] Why need br-int and br-tun in openstack neutron

Na Zhu nazhu at cn.ibm.com
Thu May 21 05:43:11 UTC 2015

Dear,

When OVS plugin is used with GRE option in Neutron, I see that each
compute
node has br-tun and br-int bridges created.

I'm trying to understand why we need the additional br-tun bridge here.
Can't we create tunneling ports in br-int bridge, and have br-int relay
traffic between VM ports and tunneling ports directly? Why do we have to
introduce another br-tun bridge?

Regards,
Juno Zhu
Staff Software Engineer, System Networking
China Systems and Technology Lab (CSTL), IBM Wuxi
Email: nazhu at cn.ibm.com