[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [nova] Can we bump MIN_LIBVIRT_VERSION to 1.2.2 in Liberty?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon May 18 09:02:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 06:14:08PM +0100, John Garbutt wrote:
> On 15 May 2015 at 17:41, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Its tempting to say its scheduled for removal in N? So we have time to
> >> work out if thats possible.
> >
> > I think that at the start of each dev cycle, we look at the distros we
> > wish to target and identify if any can be dropped or have been EOLd.
> > Then use that to decide what to deprecate in that cycle, for deletion
> > in the next cycle. Trying to second guess too many cycles in advance
> > is probably counter-productive.
>
> Well, as you mentioned, its not just about EOLed right?
> Its more about adoption curves vs maintenance costs?

Yes, true. For short lived distros (eg Fedora/Ubuntu like 12-18 month
lifetime) then its about EOL dates.. For long lived distros (RHEL,
and other enterprise distros) then it is more about adoption curve
and maintenance cost/phase.

> My idea was to start the conversation about when most folks are likely
> to move. They have already said no to deprecating in liberty, removal
> in M. I am curious if they still see themselves on RHEL 6.x in N?
> Maybe the answer is still yes?

I guess its pretty hard to predict but IME users will always say no to
killing their existing platform because why change anything if it isn't
broken :-) So we probably do need to give them a little nudge at some
point.

Regards,
Daniel