[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] can we deprecate the volume CLIs in novaclient?

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 15:28:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 8:29 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> This came up while talking about bug 1454369 [1].  This also came up at
> one point in kilo when we found out the volume CLIs in novaclient didn't
> work at one point and we broke the cells devstack exercises job because of
> it.
>
> python-novaclient uses cinder API to handle the volume CLI rather than
> going to the nova volume API.  There are issues with this because
> novaclient needs a certain endpoint/service_type setup in the service
> catalog to support cinder v1/v2 APIs (whatever devstack sets up today).
> novaclient defaults to volume (v1) and if you disable that in cinder then
> novaclient doesn't work because it's not using volumev2.
>
> So like anyone might ask, why doesn't novaclient talk to nova volume APIs
> to do volume thingies and the answer is because the nova volume API doesn't
> handle all of the volume thingies like snapshots and volume types.
>
> So I got to to thinking, why the hell are we still supporting volume
> operations via novaclient anyway?  Isn't that cinderclient's job?  Or
> python-openstackclient's job?  Can't we deprecate the volume CLIs in
> novaclient and tell people to use cinderclient instead since it now has
> version discovery [2] so that problem would be handled for us.
>
> Since we have nova volume APIs maybe we can't remove the volume CLIs in
> novaclient, but could they be limited to just operations that the nova API
> supports and then we make novaclient talk to nova volume APIs rather than
> cinder APIs (because the nova API will talk to cinderclient which again has
> the version discovery done for us).
>
> Or assuming we could deprecate the volume CLIs in novaclient, what would
> the timeline on deprecation be since it's not a server project with a 6
> month release cycle?  I'm assuming we'd still have 6-12 months deprecation
> on a client like this because of all of the tooling potentially written
> around it.
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+bug/1454369
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Riedemann

​I can't speak for the nova folks, however i do think removing the volume
calls from novaclient seems "ok".  It was always sort of left for compat I
think, and not sure any of us really thought about just removing it.  At
this point it probably just introduces confusion and as you're running into
"problems".

Seems like a good plan, and somewhat less confusing.  On a side note, might
be some other *things* in novaclient that we could look at as well,
particularly around networking.  ​