[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] A way for Operators/Users to submit feature requests

Maish Saidel-Keesing maishsk at maishsk.com
Fri May 15 05:34:09 UTC 2015

On 05/14/15 23:34, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 05/14/2015 03:48 PM, Maish Saidel-Keesing wrote:
>> I just saw an email on the Operators list [1] that I think would allow a
>> much simpler process for the non-developer community to submit a feature
>> request. I understand that this was raised once upon a time [2] - at
>> least in part a while back.
>>
>> Rally have have the option to submit a feature request (a.k.a. backlog)
>> - which I think is straight forward and simple.
>>
>> I think this will be a good way for those who are not familiar with the
>> way a spec should be written, and honestly would not know how to write
>> such a spec for any of the projects, but have identified a missing
>> feature or a need for an improvement in one of the Projects.
>>
>> They only need to specify 3 small things (a sentence / two for each)
>> 1. Use Case
>> 2. Problem description
>> 3. Possible solution
>>
>> I am not saying that each feature request should be implemented - or
>> that each possible solution is the best and only way to solve the
>> problem. That should be up to each and every project how this will be
>> (or even if it should be) implemented. How important it will be for them
>> to implement this feature and what priority this should receive. A
>> developer then picks up the request and turns it into a proper blueprint
>> with proper actionable items.
>>
>> Of course this has to be valid feature request, and not just someone
>> looking for support - how exactly this should be vetted, I have not
>> thought this through till the end. But I was looking to hear some
>> feedback on the idea of making this a way for all of the OpenStack
>> projects to allow them to collect actual feedback in a simple way.
>
> Hi Maish,
>
> I would support this kind of thing for projects that wish to do it,
> but at the same time, I wouldn't want the TC to mandate all projects
> use this method of collecting feedback. Projects, IMHO, should be free
> to self-organize as they wish, including developing processes that
> make the most sense for the project team.
>
> Best,
> -jay
Thanks for the feedback Jay.

There is a line between projects self organizing and providing a
standard way that OpenStack does things. The TC (and the community as a
whole) has decided on several guidelines for projects to be part of
OpenStack. The way we gate, testing, security guidelines, naming
conventions, etc.. These are mandated.

A standard way of accepting feature requests will be a good thing in my
opinion.
--
Best Regards,
Maish Saidel-Keesing