[openstack-dev] [new][cognitive] Announcing Cognitive - a project to deliver Machine Learning as a Service for OpenStack

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri May 15 00:02:33 UTC 2015

On 15 May 2015 at 00:19, Debojyoti Dutta <ddutta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It is a great pleasure to announce the development of a new project called
> Cognitive.  Cognitive provides Machine Learning [1] as a Service that
> enables operators to offer next generation data science based services on
> top of their OpenStack Clouds.

I was indeed wondering when "Machine Learning as a Service" would come up...

> This project will begin as a StackForge project baed upon an empty
> cookiecutter [2] repo.  The repos to work in are:
> Server: https://github.com/stackforge/cognitive
> Client: https://github.com/stackforge/python-cognitiveclient
>
> Please join us via iRC on #openstack-cognitive on freenode.
>
> We will be holding a doodle poll to select times for our first meeting the
> week after summit.  This doodle poll will close May 24th and meeting times
> will be announced on the mailing list at that time.  At our first IRC
> meeting, we will draft additional core team members. We would like to
> invite interested individuals to join this exciting new development effort!
>

>From my little experience, "drafting" core members before even actually
having a code base has drawbacks. Also, it seems the initial starting team
is already large enough for ensuring support for 1 or 2 release cycle.

> Please commit your schedule in the doodle poll here:
> http://doodle.com/drrka5tgbwpbfbxy
>
> Initial core team: Steven Dake, Aparupa Das Gupa, Debo~ Dutta, Johnu
> George,  Kyle Mestery, Sarvesh Ranjan, Ralf Rantzau, Komei Shimamura, Marc
> Solanas, Manoj Sharma, Yathi Udupi, Kai Zhang.

Hey! What's the Neutron PTL doing there? Sorry we need his reviews we can't
loan it to you!

> A little bit about Cognitive:
> Data driven applications on cloud infrastructure increasingly rely on
> Machine Learning. Most data driven applications today use Machine Learning
> (ML). This often requires application developers and data scientists to
> write their own machine learning stack or deploy other packages to do any
> kind of data science based applications. Data scientists also need to have
> an easy way to rapidly experiment with data without having to write basic
> infrastructure for data manipulations. Cognitive is a Machine Learning
> service on top of OpenStack and provides machine learning based services to
> tenants (API, workbench, compute service).

I wonder what kind of services you would offer; also you could have shared
something about the architecture of this service. Is it providing a full
machine learning stack, or just facilitating the use of existing one?

But I see that there's a link to a wiki page below. This might have all the
answers.

> For information about blueprints check out:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cognitive
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-cognitiveclient
>
> For more details, check out our Wiki:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cognitive

... and unfortunately the wiki is empty ;)