[openstack-dev] [monasca] [java]

Dieterly, Deklan deklan.dieterly at hp.com
Thu May 14 15:29:18 UTC 2015

The Monasca project currently has three major components written in Java. Monasca-persister, monasca-thresh, and monasca-api. These components work with Influxdb 0.9.0 and Vertica 7.1. They integrate with Kafka and MySQL. The monasca team is currently bringing the Python versions of these components up to parity with their Java counterparts. This effort is being undertaken because there seems to be considerable friction in introducing Java components into the OpenStack community. At this point, Id like to test the waters a bit and determine what the larger community’s reaction to having these components remain in Java would be. Would there be a general acceptance or would there be a visceral rejection? Is the issue more of integration with existing CI/CD architecture or is there more of a cultural issue?

The arguments for Java are non-trivial. Monasca has requirements for very high throughput. Furthermore, integration with Kafka is better supported with Kafka's Java libraries.

We’ve seen that Swift has introduced components in Go. So, this looks like a precedent for allowing other languages where deemed appropriate. Before we spend many man-hours hacking on the Python components, it seems reasonable to determine if there really exists a reason to do so. I’m interested in soliciting any feedback from the community be it pleasant or unpleasant.

Thanks.

—
Deklan Dieterly
Software Engineer