[openstack-dev] [qa] tempest is broken on stable/kilo

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Thu May 14 15:15:20 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 06:00:01PM +0400, Evgeny Antyshev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We faced the following problem when running tempest on stable/kilo branch:
> tempest requires tempest-lib>=0.5.0, while global requirements from
> stable/kilo ==0.4.0
> (module common/ssh was moved from tempest to tempest-lib 0.5.0)
>
> It looks like this problem was introduced by the change:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/176039/
>
> Please clarify if tempest is supposed to work with stable/kilo or not.

Tempest does not have a stable branch like other openstack projects. For more
info about that see:

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/qa-specs/specs/implemented/branchless-tempest.html

and

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/HACKING.html#branchless-tempest-considerations

Tempest will run fine against a stable/kilo cloud, however if you're trying to
install everything on a single box there will be some complexities as you've
encountered. The only way to install tempest with a all-in-one OpenStack
deployment on the same node is to make sure you venv isolated tempest. This is
actually what we do for stable/kilo jobs in the gate, we don't try to system
install tempest but instead just use tox to create a venv and run tempest tests
from inside the venv. This is because as you pointed out tempest's requirements
change with master global requirements which will conflict with the stable
branches.

-Matt Treinish