[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron]Fail to communicate new host when the first host for a new instance fails

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Thu May 14 09:29:16 UTC 2015

Hi all, this is about a problem I'm seeing with my Neutron ML2 mechanism
driver [1].  I'm expecting to see an update_port_postcommit call to
signal that the binding:host_id for a port is changing, but I don't see
that.

The scenario is launching a new instance in a cluster with two compute
hosts, where we've rigged things so that one of the compute hosts will
always be chosen first, but libvirt isn't correctly configured there and
hence the instance launching attempt will fail.  Then Nova tries to use
the other compute host instead, and that mostly works - except that my
mechanism driver still thinks that the new instance's port is still
bound to the first compute host.

Is anyone aware of a known problem in this area (in Juno-level code), or
where I could like to start pinning this down in more detail?

Many thanks,
	Neil