[openstack-dev] [horizon][keystone][heat] Are "AVAILABLE_REGIONS" and multi-region service catalog mutually exclusive?

Geoff Arnold geoff at geoffarnold.com
Wed May 13 19:01:10 UTC 2015

I’m looking at implementing dynamically-configured multi-region support for service federation, and the prior art on multi-region support in Horizon is pretty sketchy. This thread:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2014-January/004372.html
is the only real discussion I’ve found, and it’s pretty inconclusive.

More precisely, if I configure a single Horizon with AVAILABLE_REGIONS pointing at two different Keystones with region names “X” and “Y", and each of those Keystones returns a service catalog with multiple regions (“A” and “B” for one, “P”, “Q”, and “R” for the other), what’s Horizon going to do? Or rather, what’s it expected to do?

Yes, I’m being lazy: I could actually configure this to see what happens, but hopefully it was considered during the design.

Geoff

PS I’ve added Heat to the subject, because from a quick read of https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Blueprints/Multi_Region_Support_for_Heat it looks as if Heat won’t support the AVAILABLE_REGIONS model. That seems like an unfortunate disconnect.