[openstack-dev] [new][cloudpulse] Announcing a project to HealthCheck OpenStack deployments

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed May 13 14:19:55 UTC 2015

From: David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com<mailto:dkranz at redhat.com>>
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [new][cloudpulse] Announcing a project to HealthCheck OpenStack deployments

On 05/13/2015 09:06 AM, Simon Pasquier wrote:
Hello,

Like many others commented before, I don't quite understand how unique are the Cloudpulse use cases.

For operators, I got the feeling that existing solutions fit well:
- Traditional monitoring tools (Nagios, Zabbix, ....) are necessary anyway for infrastructure monitoring (CPU, RAM, disks, operating system, RabbitMQ, databases and more) and diagnostic purposes. Adding OpenStack service checks is fairly easy if you already have the toolchain.
Is it really so easy? Rabbitmq has an "aliveness" test that is easy to hook into. I don't know exactly what it does, other than what the doc says, but I should not have to. If I want my standard monitoring system to call into a cloud and ask "is nova healthy?", "is glance healthy?", etc. are their such calls?

David,

I think a healthchecking API per service is a fantastic idea.  I would like to see the same thing in OpenStack services.  The real way to check health of nova for example, is for Nova to do the job of checking it’s own health.  It knows its internals best and can do the job.  Maybe this project can introduce API calls and implementations into the major services to do such work.

Regards
-steve

There are various sets of calls associated with nagios, zabbix, etc. but those seem like "after-market" parts for a car. Seems to me the services themselves would know best how to check if they are healthy, particularly as that could change version to version. Has their been discussion of adding a health-check (admin) api in each service? Lacking that, is there documentation from any OpenStack projects about "how to check the health of nova"? When I saw this thread start, that is what I thought it was going to be about.

 -David

- OpenStack projects like Rally or Tempest can generate synthetic loads and run end-to-end tests. Integrating them with a monitoring system isn't terribly difficult either.

As far as Monitoring-as-a-service is concerned, do you have plans to integrate/leverage Ceilometer?

BR,
Simon