[openstack-dev] [kolla] Announcing the release of Kolla 2015.1.0

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed May 13 14:00:38 UTC 2015

Hey Stackers,

The Kolla community is pleased to announce the release of Kolla 2015.1.0.  This release includes the following features:

Kolla includes a complete container build system and all in one deployment tool.

We also have implemented completely functional containers for:

  *   Glance
  *   Heat
  *   Keystone
  *   Mariadb
  *   Nova
  *   Rabbitmq
  *   Neutron
  *   Horizon
  *   Magnum

All of our containers are “thin” containers, meaning they do one thing, and do it well, with the exception of our Neutron agents.  The Neutron agents could not be turned into thin containers because of limitations with Docker 1.6.  Docker 1.7 fixes these limitations; we will convert these containers to thin containers upstream shortly.

Our containers also follow best practices in the community, and preserve the magic properties of containers as defined here:

http://sdake.io/2015/04/13/preserving-contaner-properties-via-volume-mounts/

If you want to try Kolla, I recommend checking out the stable/kilo branch and following the developer quickstart guide here:

https://github.com/stackforge/kolla/blob/master/docs/dev-quickstart.md

As the Kolla PTL, I am super pleased at the growth of the developer community in Kolla over the last 3 months.  We have at least 5 new consistent developers writing code and reviewing code.  I expect core team expansion after OpenStack Summit.

Speaking of OpenStack Summit, I’d invite anyone interested in deploying OpenStack in containers to attend our conference track talk where we will live demo Kolla:

Thanks Docker!  The pro’s and con’s of containerizing your OpenStack services.
Tuesday May 19th 2:00-2:40 PM Room 211

https://openstacksummitmay2015vancouver.sched.org/event/adcadb6b9d62995b11fa8acb2ef01b53#.VVNW8tNViko

Regards,
-steve