[openstack-dev] [nova]Can we add a optional weight mechanism with balanced resource utilization?

zhangtralon ztralon at hotmail.com
Wed May 13 02:10:38 UTC 2015

hi,all
Currently,when placing VMs on hosts, a PM cannot host any more VMas long as an arbitrary dimensional resource is exhaustedeven when all other dimensional resources are sufficient, aphenomenon well-known as bucket effects.
we can place VMs based on all kinds of the resource utilization ratio, as far aspossible to reduce resource fragments. For example, the PM_ration can be expressed as (usedcpu/totalcpu, ramused/totalram, diskused/totaldisk,.....). when placing on vm, we can calculate the PM_ration:PM_ration* = ((usedcpu+vm_cpu)/totalcpu, (ramused+vm_ram)/totalram, (diskused+vm_disk)/totaldisk,.....)and then we can select host based on the avg and standard deviation of the host's PM_ratio.
please let me know if you have any question or advice.
thanks--zhangtralon