[openstack-dev] [nova][all] Architecture Diagrams in ascii art?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue May 12 13:42:52 UTC 2015

On 05/12/2015 08:47 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> I agree with all the things above, and I want to add that I think SVG
> is probably the most appropriate candidate as a W3C approved drawing
> format. We can even enforce style rules and use a reformatter so that
> diffs make sense.

+1 for SVG

As already mentioned blockdiag and it's variants is an easy to use
Python tool whose source input is dead simple text and produces lovely
SVG diagrams

http://blockdiag.com/en/

it also does sequence diagrams, activity diagrams and network diagrams.
One could commit both the source diag file and the SVG output into git.

Inkscape (https://inkscape.org/) is the premier opensource SVG drawing
tool which is an alternative to Adobe Illustrator. It's not hard to learn.

But the important point is the format should be SVG because then it can
easily be edited later by your preferred SVG editing tool. Plus SVG
makes the nicest looking diagrams especially when you need to cater to
different output resolutions (think print).

--
John