[openstack-dev] [nova][all] Architecture Diagrams in ascii art?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 12 09:22:23 UTC 2015

John Garbutt wrote:
> On 11 May 2015 at 23:46, Boris Pavlovic <boris at pavlovic.me> wrote:
>>> Couldn't we just use real image files to do this. IIRC, gerrit supports
>>> displaying image files which are included in a commit. For example, I've
>>> been
>>> planning to copy these images:
>>
>> +1 for real images
>
> One suggestion I remember around specs was we might want a separate
> repo to contain the images, to stop massively increasing the git clone
> times.

Also like Matt mentioned, images can't be easily modified. As time
passes by, that usually results in stale information as people don't go
through the hassle of completely redoing the image to update the
information in it. That makes them fine for shiny one-time
presentations, but inadequate for long-term technical docs.

For those I really prefer to optimize for accuracy than for prettiness,
so ascii art, or blockdiag, or anything we can easily share the source
of, is to be preferred to raw images.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)