[openstack-dev] [nova-docker] [magnum] [nova] Returning nova-docker to Nova Tree

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Tue May 12 00:24:53 UTC 2015

Andreas,

On May 11, 2015, at 2:04 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 05/11/2015 09:58 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > [...]
>> If the Magnum team is interested in helping to maintain it, why not just
>> keep it as a separate repo?  What's the real value in bringing it into
>> the Nova tree?
>>
>> It could serve as a good example of how an optional nova component can
>> continue be maintained in a separate repo.
>
> Indeed.
>
> So, what do you (=original poster) want to achieve? Have it part of the nova project - or part of the nova repository?
>
> You could have it as separate repository but part of nova - and then move it from stackforge to openstack namespace.

Good point. This is probably a good balance. Ideally the driver would be available whenever nova is installed, so regardless of how we develop the driver that it be available for OpenStack cloud operators to use without downloading something separately in order to use it. I’d argue the same for all virt drivers, not just this one. There is probably no value in coupling nova-docker with Magnum from a software distribution perspective. We probably could share Gerrit groups. I’ll let you know what input the Magnum team offers tomorrow.

Adrian