[openstack-dev] [nova-docker] [magnum] [nova] Returning nova-docker to Nova Tree

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Mon May 11 19:51:44 UTC 2015

Dan and John,

On May 11, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Dan Smith <dms at danplanet.com> wrote:

>> +1 Agreed nested containers are a thing. Its a great reason to keep
>> our LXC driver.
>
> I don't think that's a reason we should keep our LXC driver, because you
> can still run containers in containers with other things. If anything,
> using a nova vm-like container to run application-like containers inside
> them is going to beg the need to tweak more detailed things on the
> vm-like container to avoid restricting the application one, I think.
>
> IMHO, the reason to keep the seldom-used, not-that-useful LXC driver in
> nova is because it's nearly free. It is the libvirt driver with a few
> conditionals to handle different things when necessary for LXC. The
> docker driver is a whole other nova driver to maintain, with even less
> applicability to being a system container (IMHO).
>
>> I am keen we set the right expectations here. If you want to treat
>> docker containers like VMs, thats OK.
>>
>> I guess a remaining concern is the driver dropping into diss-repair
>> if most folks end up using Magnum when they want to use docker.
>
> I think this is likely the case and I'd like to avoid getting into this
> situation again. IMHO, this is not our target audience, it's very much
> not free to just put it into the tree because "meh, some people might
> like it instead of the libvirt-lxc driver”.

This is a valid point. I do expect that the combined use of Nova + (nova-docker | libvirt-lxc) + Magnum will be popular in situations where workload consolidation is a key goal, and security isolation is a non-goal. For this reason, I’m very interested in making sure that we have some choice for decent Nova virt drivers that produce Nova instances that are containers. This matters, because Magnum currently expects to get all its instances from Nova.

I do recognize that nova-docker has stabilized to the point where it would be practical to maintain it within the Nova tree. As Eric Windisch mentioned, the reasons for having this as a separate code repo have vanished. It’s feature complete, has and passes the necessary tests, and has a low commit velocity now.

Perhaps our Nova team would feel more comfortable about ongoing maintenance if the Magnum team were willing to bring nova-docker into its own scope of support so we don’t suffer from orphaned code. If we can agree to adopt this from a maintenance perspective, then we should be able to agree to have it in tree again, right?

I have added this to the Containers Team IRC meeting agenda for tomorrow. Let’s see what the team thinks about this.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/Containers#Agenda_for_2015-05-12_1600_UTC

I invite Nova and nova-docker team members to join us to discuss this topic, and give us your input.

Thanks,

Adrian