[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Containers and networking

Bob Melander (bmelande) bmelande at cisco.com
Mon May 11 16:58:44 UTC 2015

I agree, that is my take too.

Russell, since you lead the OVN session in Vancouver, would it be possible to include the VLAN-aware-vms BP in that session?

Thanks,
Bob

From: Ian Wells <ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk<mailto:ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk>>
Date: fredag 3 april 2015 13:17
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Magnum] Containers and networking

This puts me in mind of a previous proposal, from the Neutron side of things. Specifically, I would look at Erik Moe's proposal for VM ports attached to multiple networks: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/vlan-aware-vms .

I believe that you want logical ports hiding behind a conventional port (which that has); the logical ports attached to a variety of Neutron networks despite coming through the same VM interface (ditto); and an encap on the logical port with a segmentation ID (that uses exclusively VLANs, which probably suits here, though there's no particular reason why it has to be VLANs or why it couldn't be selectable).  The original concept didn't require multiple ports attached to the same incoming subnetwork, but that's a comparatively minor adaptation.
--
Ian.

On 2 April 2015 at 11:35, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com<mailto:rbryant at redhat.com>> wrote:
On 04/02/2015 01:45 PM, Kevin Benton wrote:
> +1. I added a suggestion for a container networking suggestion to the
> etherpad for neutron. It would be sad if the container solution built
> yet another overlay on top of the Neutron networks with yet another
> network management workflow. By the time the packets are traveling
> across the wires, it would be nice not to have double encapsulation from
> completely different systems.

Yeah, that's what I like about this proposal.  Most of the existing work
in this space seems to result in double encapsulation.  Now we just need
to finish building it ...

--
Russell Bryant