[openstack-dev] [nova] Allow passing body for more API methods

Rosa, Andrea (HP Cloud Services) andrea.rosa at hp.com
Mon May 11 14:48:25 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I noticed that in the nova API we allow to specify body just for the PUT and POST requests [0], for all the other methods, if a body is specified, it gets ignored.
I had a look at the RFC 7231 [1] and I noticed that just the TRACE must not have a body, for all the other request a body can be passed and managing or ignoring it depends  on the semantic of the request.
For that reason my proposal is to allow at WSGI layer to define a body for all the requests but for the TRACE then it is up to the specific controller to ignore or deal with the body in the request.
I put a WIP to implement that change [3].
The rationale behind it is double:

-          Be more in compliance with the RFC

-          Having  more flexibility in our framework. I have a valid (at least for me) use case here [4]:  at the moment a volume detach is implemented using a HTTP DELETE, I'd like to add the option for calling from nova, the cinder -force-delete
My idea to implement it is to add a parameter in the body of the DELETE call, but at the moment the only valid option is to create a new API using a POST method.

What do you think?
Regards
--
Andrea Rosa