[openstack-dev] [all] Replace mysql-python with mysqlclient

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri May 8 19:25:22 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Ronald Bradford's message of 2015-05-08 10:41:30 -0400:
> I guess I may have spoken too soon.
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PyMySQL_evaluation states  " Oracle refuses
> to publish MySQL-connector-Python on Pypi, which is critical to the
> Openstack infrastructure".
>
> I am unclear when this statement was made and who is involved in this
> discussion.  As I have contacts in the MySQL engineering and Oracle
> Corporation product development teams I will endeavor to seek a more
> current and definitive response and statement.

We install all of our library dependencies via pip (for unit,
functional, and integration tests). New versions of pip require special
handling to install packages not hosted on PyPI, and that special
handling must be performed in every place where we have a dependency on
the package, which places an extra burden on us that we would prefer to
avoid.

Doug