[openstack-dev] [all] who is the ptl of trove?

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri May 8 14:28:22 UTC 2015

On 05/08/2015 03:45 AM, Nikhil Manchanda wrote:

> Comments and answers inline.
>
> Li Tianqing writes:
>
>> [...]
>
>>    1) why we put the trove vm into user's tenant, not the trove's
>>    tenant? User can login on that vm, and that vm must connect to
>>    rabbitmq. It is quite insecure.
>>    what's about put the tenant into trove tenant?
>
> While the default configuration of Trove in devstack puts Trove guest
> VMs into the users' respective tenants, it's possible to configure Trove
> to create VMs in a single "Trove" tenant. You would do this by
> overriding the default novaclient class in Trove's remote.py with one
> that creates all Trove VMs in a particular tenant whose user credentials
> you will need to supply. In fact, most production instances of Trove do
> something like this.

Might I suggest that if this is how people regularly deploy, that such a
class be included in trove proper, and that a config option be provided
like "use_tenant='name_of_tenant_to_use'" that would trigger the use of
the overridden novaclient class?

I think asking an operator as a standard practice to override code in
remote.py is a bad pattern.

>>    2) Why there is no trove mgmt cli, but mgmt api is in the code?
>>    Does it disappear forever ?
>
> The reason for this is because the old legacy Trove client was rewritten
> to be in line with the rest of the openstack clients. The new client
> has bindings for the management API, but we didn't complete the work on
> writing the shell pieces for it. There is currently an effort to
> support Trove calls in the openstackclient, and we're looking to
> support the management client calls as part of this as well. If this is
> something that you're passionate about, we sure could use help landing
> this in Liberty.
>
>>    3)  The trove-guest-agent is in vm. it is connected by taskmanager
>>    by rabbitmq. We designed it. But is there some prectise to do this?
>>         how to make the vm be connected in vm-network and management
>>         network?
>
> Most deployments of Trove that I am familiar with set up a separate
> RabbitMQ server in cloud that is used by Trove. It is not recommended to
> use the same infrastructure RabbitMQ server for Trove for security
> reasons. Also most deployments of Trove set up a private (neutron)
> network that the RabbitMQ server and guests are connected to, and all
> RPC messages are sent over this network.

This sounds like a great chunk of information to potentially go into
deployer docs.