[openstack-dev] [cinder][nova] Question on Cinder client exception handling

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu May 7 20:37:46 UTC 2015

On 5/7/2015 3:21 PM, Chen CH Ji wrote:
> no, I only want to confirm whether cinder folks is doing this or there
> are already tricks can be used that before submit the change ... thanks
>
> Best Regards!
>
> Kevin (Chen) Ji 纪 晨
>
> Engineer, zVM Development, CSTL
> Notes: Chen CH Ji/China/IBM at IBMCN   Internet: jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
> Phone: +86-10-82454158
> Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian
> District, Beijing 100193, PRC
>
> Inactive hide details for Matt Riedemann ---05/07/2015 10:12:21 PM---On
> 5/6/2015 7:02 AM, Chen CH Ji wrote: > HiMatt Riedemann ---05/07/2015
> 10:12:21 PM---On 5/6/2015 7:02 AM, Chen CH Ji wrote: > Hi
>
> From: Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> Date: 05/07/2015 10:12 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [cinder][nova] Question on Cinder client
> exception handling

> On 5/6/2015 7:02 AM, Chen CH Ji wrote:
>  > Hi
>  >                 In order to work on [1] , nova need to know what kind of
>  > exception are raised when using cinderclient so that it can handle like
>  > [2] did?
>  >                 In this case, we don't need to distinguish the error
>  > case based on string compare , it's more accurate and less error leading
>  >                 Anyone is doing it or any other methods I can use to
>  > catch cinder specified  exception in nova? Thanks
>  >
>  >
>  > [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1450658
>  > [2]
>  >
> https://github.com/openstack/python-neutronclient/blob/master/neutronclient/v2_0/client.py#L64
>  >
>  > Best Regards!
>  >
>  > Kevin (Chen) Ji 纪 晨
>  >
>  > Engineer, zVM Development, CSTL
>  > Notes: Chen CH Ji/China/IBM at IBMCN   Internet: jichenjc at cn.ibm.com
>  > Phone: +86-10-82454158
>  > Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian
>  > District, Beijing 100193, PRC
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >

> Is there anything preventing us from adding a more specific exception to
> cinderclient and then once that's in and released, we can pin the
> minimum version of cinderclient in global-requirements so nova can
> safely use it?
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Riedemann

I added some notes to the bug after looking into the cinder code.  I
think this would actually be a series of changes if you want something
more specific than the 500 you're getting back from the cinder API
today, and that's going to be several changes (cinder to raise a more
specific error, cinderclient to translate that to a specific exception,
and then nova to handle that).

I'd probably just go with a change to nova to handle the 500 from cinder
and not completely puke and orphan the instance.

Matt Riedemann