[openstack-dev] [neutron] Mechanism drivers and Neutron server forking?

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Thu May 7 13:08:45 UTC 2015

Is there a design for how ML2 mechanism drivers are supposed to cope
with the Neutron server forking?

What I'm currently seeing, with api_workers = 2, is:

- my mechanism driver gets instantiated and initialized, and immediately
kicks off some processing that involves communicating over the network

- the Neutron server process then forks into multiple copies

- multiple copies of my driver's network processing then continue, and
interfere badly with each other :-)

I think what I should do is:

- wait until any forking has happened

- then decide (somehow) which mechanism driver is going to kick off that
processing, and do that.

But how can a mechanism driver know when the Neutron server forking has
happened?

Thanks,
	Neil