[openstack-dev] [all] TC Communications planning

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Wed May 6 15:12:19 UTC 2015

On Wed, 6 May 2015, Anne Gentle wrote:

> Please answer these questions on the list if you're interested in shaping
> the communications plan:

(In case it isn't clear, answering just with regard to what I've
experienced over the last year since joining the scene.)

> Audience considerations:
> Is the primary audience current OpenStack contributors or those in consumer
> roles?

I would think it should have a slant in the direction of
existing contributors but with awareness that the more accessible
the information it is the better it is for new folk and for
encouraging consumers to become contributors.

The idea (to me) is to help keep people engaged with what is
supposed to be a democratic process. Therefore the primary audience
is whoever is the demos (or wants to be).

> What percentage of the audience are fairly new contributors? Fairly new to
> OpenStack itself?

See above.

> Is the audience more likely to be an "outsider looking in" to OpenStack
> governance?

I think the goal here is an inside view for insiders and
proto-insiders.

> Is the audience wanting to click links to learn more, or do they just want
> the summary?

Links for sake of reference are great things but should not be used
as a way of not summarizing. The value of this communication ought
to be that it summarizes for those who haven't the time or inclination
to follow every link.

> Does the audience always want an action to take, or is simply getting
> information their goal?

For me, the latter. If I want to take action it will be as a result
of chewing on the information.

> Channel considerations:
> Is this audience with their goals more likely to use blogs, RSS, and
> Twitter or subscribe to mailing lists?

I'm happy with anything as long as it is both easy to find and
frequently re-announced. It is often hard to find stuff and when
we've been around for a while we forget that new people are showing
up each day wanting to find these things.

In order of preference: list, rss, blogs (but why have a blog
without rss).

Not Twitter.

> Depending on the channels chosen, is cross-posting to multiple channels a
> huge error, or are we leaning towards a wide net rather than laser
> targeting?

Wide net!

> Is there another channel we haven't considered that is widely consumed?

Carrier Pigeons.

> Does the cadence have to be weekly, even if "not much happened with the TC"
> is the activity rate for the week?

Content more important than cadence.

> Thanks all for participating and giving input.

Excellent questions.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent