[openstack-dev] [neutron][api] Extensions out, Micro-versions in

Bob Melander (bmelande) bmelande at cisco.com
Wed May 6 12:59:09 UTC 2015

Hi Salvatore,

Two questions/remarks below.

From: Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com<mailto:sorlando at nicira.com>>
Date: onsdag 6 maj 2015 00:13
Subject: [openstack-dev] [neutron][api] Extensions out, Micro-versions in

#5 Plugin/Vendor specific APIs

Neutron is without doubt the project with the highest number of 3rd party (OSS and commercial) integration. After all it was mostly vendors who started this project.
Vendors [4] use the extension mechanism to expose features in their products not covered by the Neutron API or to provide some sort of value-added service.
The current proposal still allows 3rd parties to attach extensions to the neutron API, provided that:
- they're not considered part of the Neutron API, in terms of versioning, documentation, and client support

BOB> There are today vendor specific commands in the Neutron CLI client. Such commands are prepended with the name of the vendor, like cisco_<command> and nec_<command>.
I think that makes it quite visible to the user that the command is specific to a vendor feature and not part of neutron core. Would it be possible to allow for that also going forward? I would think that from a user perspective it can be convenient to be able to access vendor add-on features using a single CLI client.

- they do not redefine resources defined by the Neutron API.

BOB> Does “redefine" here include extending a resource with additional attributes?

- they do not live in the neutron source tree
The aim of the provisions above is to minimize the impact of such extensions on API portability.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your feedback,
Salvatore

The title of this post has been inspired by [2]  (the message in the banner may be unintelligible to readers not fluent in european football)

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/136760/
[2] http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/photo/2015/0502/fc-banner-jd-1296x729.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc
[3] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/kilo/implemented/api-microversions.html
[4] By "vendor" here we refer either to a cloud provider or a company providing Neutron integration for their products.