[openstack-dev] [keystone] On dynamic policy, role hierarchies/groups/sets etc.

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed May 6 03:34:48 UTC 2015

On 05/05/2015 07:05 AM, Henry Nash wrote:
> We’ve been discussing changes to these areas for a while - and
> although I think there is general agreement among the keystone cores
> that we need to change *something*, we’ve been struggling to get
> agreement on exactly how..  So to try and ground the discussion that
> will (I am sure) occur in Vancouver, here’s an attempt to take a step
> back, look at what we have now, as well as where, perhaps, we want to
> get to.

This is a great summary.  Thanks Henry.

> [...]
> installation), cloud providers will want to allow those customers to
> administer “their bit of the cloud”. Keystone uses the Domains concept
> to allow a cloud provider to create a namespace for a customer to
> create their own projects, users and groups….and there is a version of
> the keystone policy file that allows a cloud provider to effectively
> delegate management of these items to an administrator of that
> customer (sometimes called a domain administrator).  However, Roles
> are not part of that namespace - they exists in a global namespace
> (within a keystone installation). Diverse customers may have different
> interpretations of what a “VM admin” or a “net admin” should be
> allowed to do for their bit of the cloud - but  right now that
> differentiation is hard to provide. We have no support for roles or
> policy that are domain specific.
>
> iii) Although as stated in ii) above, you can write a policy file that
> differentiates between various levels of admin, or fine-tunes access
> to certain capabilities, the reality is that doing this is pretty
> un-intuative. The structure of a policy.json file that tries to do
> this is, indeed, complex (see Keystone’s as an example:
> https://github.com/openstack/keystone/blob/master/etc/policy.v3cloudsample.json).
> Adding more capability to this will likely only make the situation worse.
>
> We have a number of specs taking shape to try and address the above (a
> number of them competing), so I wanted to propose with a set of
> guidelines for these:
>
> a) Making the policy centrally sourced (i.e. in keystone) and more
> dynamic seems eminently sensible. We’ll need to work on notifications
> etc. for how services know the policy has changed, of course. Such a
> centralised capability allows us to not just use a json file to store
> policy, but perhaps a database - allowing more fine-grained access to
> policy rules via an API. See:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/147651/ and
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/133814/ as examples.
>
> b) One of the core disagreements has been around whether any
> additional structure we add to roles is processed at token generation
> time or at token analysis time by the policy engine. To be honest, I
> don’t think our deployers care - as long as we don’t break something
> like making tokens even bigger.  What they will care about is whether
> they can hold in the heads the concepts for what it is they need to
> set up to achieve the policy framework that want. Let’s concentrate on
> making this easy for them, and under the hood we’ll solve the bits and
> bites.
>
> c) We have had competing suggestions for role sets/group/hierarchies
> (see: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/125704/ and
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/133855/ ). I would suggest that we go
> for a base functionality of role sets (where a role set can contain
> roles or other role sets)….where these can either be global in scope or
While I agree with the basic approach, I would argue instead that a Role
is a set of capabilities, and so we don't need role sets, we need
capability sets (which we have) and then we say a role can contain other
roles.  The set of capabilites is then defined as the union of the
capabilities assigned to it directly and the capabilites assigned to
subordinate roles.

The set can be easily defined in the policy.json file.  So the
requirment then is to keep the Keystone view of these nested roles in
sync.  The database driven approach makes this simpler, but this can be
done today by hand with the existing policy file. Demonstrating this is
part of my dynamic policy presentation.

> domain specific.  Both need to be supported and it must be possible
> for a cloud provider to delegate to a domain admin the ability to
> create their own role sets. Whether roles sets are processed by the
> policy engine or at token generation time (see b) above) is something
> we need to hash out. I’m actually Ok with either…as long as one
> development route is not inordinately longer than the other - and, at
> least for me, domain specific role sets must be in any first
> implementation (this is the customer need I see most). I wouldn’t rule
> out a development plan where we 1) get the API right, 2) implement it
> so that the tokens and policy doesn’t have to change (i.e. we expand
> role sets at token generation time), and then 3) push this capability
> into the policy engine itself.  If we can skip 2) and get to 3)
> quickly, more the better.
I think do step 3 first;  we can make the policy engine handle the rules
inferences for roles as sets of  capabilities.  Policy generation from
the database happens second, and the API for more fine grained control
happens third.

> d) I’d like to keep in mind an eventual destination where services
> could “register their capabilities” via an API, policy rules and
> roles/sets can then be created via APIs that then allow assignments to
> be made in terms that make sense to a domain administrator (i.e. in
> terms that are meaningful to them), that make a customer hosted on a
> shared cloud feel that this really is "their cloud”.
That should work. In order for a user to get access to those new
capabilites we'd have three choices:

1.  Add them to an existing role
2.  Add them to a new role and assign that new role as a subset of an
existing role
3.  Add them to a new role and assign them to the user directly.