[openstack-dev] [tc] Who is allowed to vote for TC candidates

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Tue May 5 16:53:48 UTC 2015

Le 05/05/2015 18:41, Maish Saidel-Keesing a écrit :

> On 05/05/15 19:14, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

>>> It was. I was there. So were other TC members and PTLs.

>>> Actually, we did. For example we talked about tags, and ops clearly
>>> expressed (1) the need for a kernel/compute base tag and (2) the
>>> intention to form a workgroup to define tags around operational
>>> maturity. For (1) the tag was just proposed, and for (2) an Ops
>>> workgroup has been created.
>>>
>>> As far as "implemented in any of the projects" go, I think you have a
>>> weird idea of the timeframe involved. The PHL meetup was in March,
>>> after
>>> the Kilo feature freeze. Way past time to implement anything in any
>>> project.

>>> It's also interesting to note that in most of those sessions, we ended
>>> up with actions on the corresponding ops workgroup side to define the
>>> problem space and push the issue further, not actions on developers to
>>> pick up the etherpad and derive actions from it.
>>>
>>> I am not sure we live in the Ops vs. Dev world you seem to live in.
>>> There were Ops, there were Devs (and other contributors) present in
>>> that
>>> meetup and I didn't feel any of that "us vs. them" attitude there.
>>
>> Could we please stop to consider Ops and Devs as distinct groups of
>> people ? Some Ops are also contributing to bugfixing or
>> documentation, and some devs are also internal ops for their own
>> company cloud.
>>
>> We're far from a world where people are not speaking the same
>> language. They do, and OpenStack is so big that by some extend, Ops
>> need to understand code and Devs need to understand Ops.
> Completely Agree!!
>>
>> At least one good opportunity for seeing how things are is just to
>> attend an Upstream Training course and see the audience.
>>
> And perhaps it could also be a good idea to have developers deploy and
> operate a highly available geographically dispersed OpenStack
> implementation trying to adhere to a defined SLA?
>
> It should go both ways.

As I said, I don't understand why you consider that devs are not
production aware ? I can't speak for everyone but I certainly trust that
most of the developers are part of a company which either is a software
vendor (and consequently has customer requests) or is directly running a
production cloud.

Some of us have also stories where they were previously Ops but then
moved to a developing position just because they began to contribute to
OpenStack directly, as I mentioned.

-Sylvain